Saturday, November 03, 2012

sweet november: sweet treats

Happy day three of sweet november! I had planned to post a diy today along with my fall ensemble post but had a smidge of a snafu when I awoke with very unhappy ear and sinus pain. After a trip to the weekend doctor I am now loaded with meds and a bit too sleepy to do any crafting. I'm sure I will bounce back after a nap so for now you get two recipes of a sort with a couple of pretty pictures for good measure.

I left early this morning to be at the doc when the doors opened so as not to have to wait too long, because of that I left with no breakfast and well, a sick girl needs to make sure there is food in the belly when she begins dosing antibiotics and steroids. After I picked up my meds, I gave the mister a quick update with a phone call and asked if her would prep some oatmeal for me. When I got home, I made a few adjustments so I could enjoy a bowl of pumpkin oatmeal. Lookie...
While it was cooking, I added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and a tablespoon of pureed pumpkin and stirred it all up. In my bowl, I added a teaspoon of honey, a handful of pepitas, pomegranate seeds, a sprinkling of granola and a tablespoon of half and half.  It could definitely look a little prettier but I needed to eat and not stage a photo! Delicious! 

I've had some pumpkin in the fridge that has been camping out there for a smidge too long. I had previously read about all sorts of recipes using box mixes and pumpkin or soda or other bits so I thought why not? I dumped a box of brownie mix into a bowl, added the pumpkin (a little more than a cup) and then a wee bit of half and half when the dough looked a bit too cookie-doughy. 
The batter spread nicely in the glass baking dish and I popped the whole thing into a 350F oven for 28 minutes. After adding some pumpkin spice powdered sugar (a pinch of pumpkin spice with a pinch of powder sugar mixed up in a little bowl) I took some pretty pictures and got ready for a snack. I will now warn ya, this is super easy to make and appears to be a super dense brownie. Appears. It may be a little prettier than it tastes...sort of. The flavor is ridiculously rich. I have no sense of smell and the chocolate lingered in my mouth in a very pleasing way. The texture, however, is another species. The pumpkin makes the baked up brownie feel a lot like playdough. While the flavor is enticing and rich, the texture is a bit on the rubbery side. Methinks if you add an egg it will fluff up nicely so I would recommend that. Would I recommend this recipe as is? I would and am because the flavor is so tasty, just remember that the texture is on the wonky side so proceed at your own risk. 
Thank you for visiting sweet november and don't forget to check out the pink couch for a delicious recipe from Tara.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon!
    That is not a fun way to spend a saturday!
    The oatmeal and brownie look divine. :)

    ReplyDelete